Friday, April 20, 2012

Kingdom Entrepreneurs

I once heard N.T. Wright talk about being "kingdom entrepreneurs." It wasn't a whole lecture, but a little fragment of a reflection based on his reading the Scripture. I think he was talking about Romans, which he seems to do a lot, thankfully.

In this video he gives a few vignettes of this notion of being kingdom entrepreneurs. It's worth the watch and hopefully it stirs something up in your heart for your own context.

It resonates with what I was trying to say in my last sermon on John 20:19-31, specifically the part where Jesus says, "As the Father has sent me, I also send you." And how John's gospel in general is just messy and earthy: The Word became flesh and dwelt among us; Jesus spits on the ground, makes some mud, and puts it on the blind man's eyes; He BBQ's fish with His disciples, smoke in his eyes and fish guts on his hands; He breathes the Holy Spirit into them, reminding us of a God who put his hands in the dust of the earth to make humans.

Whenever I talk about the how Heaven and Earth are beginning to overlap, how the kingdom of God is beginning to appear, I will often say that it's something like a cosmic cross-fade. It's like when you pause right in between scenes so that you can see both of them at the same time. The old creation is cross-fading into the new. The kingdom is inaugarted in Jesus, but it's not here yet, although we are beginning to see it. This video helps us capture a glimpse of what that might look like.

I warn you, these kinds of things require imagination.

No comments: